Apache Mahout Defined
Apache Mahout is a powerful, scalable machine-learning library that runs on top of Hadoop MapReduce.
Mahout is supported by its 3 pillars:
- Recommender engines: Recommenders can be classified as being user based or item based and can be used to attract users and suggest products by mining user behaviour.
- Clustering: Clustering groups objects of a similar nature in one place.
- Classification: Classification techniques decide whether a thing deserves to be a part of some type or not.
Key features of Mahout include:
- Proven Algorithms– Mahout uses a set of algorithms to try to solve common problems encountered in many industries.
- Scalable to Large Data Sets – Designed to distribute across large data center clusters that run Apache Hadoop and apply the map/reduce paradigm.
- Active & Open Community – Mahout has its own community forum allowing for discussions between users to address issues.
Companies using Mahout include:
- Yahoo Mail
- Linked In
In Data Defined, we help make the complex world of data more accessible by explaining some of the most complex aspects of the field.Click Here for more Data Defined.