Apache Cassandra is a distributed, open source, peer to peer, NoSQL database and is apart of the Apache family. It is a highly scalable, available, distributed database, that facilitates the storing and managing of high-velocity structured data. This database can distribute, read and write data across multiple commodity servers or nodes without a single point of failure. Every node in the cluster communicates state information about itself and other nodes.
Characteristics of Apache Cassandra include:
- It is a column-oriented database.
- It is highly consistent, fault-tolerant, and scalable.
- It was created for Facebook and was later open sourced.
- The data model is based on Google Bigtable.
- The distributed design is based on Amazon Dynamo.
Advantages of Cassandra include:
- Elastic Scalability
- Open Source
- Peer to Peer Architecture
- Fault Tolerance